As one of the most iconic landmarks in Dubai, the Burj Al Arab stands tall and proud, beckoning visitors from all over the world to experience its grandeur. The Burj Al Arab is not just a hotel; it is an experience and a testimony to the limitless possibilities of human imagination. Its iconic sail-shaped structure has become synonymous with the city of Dubai.
Join me as we explore the wonders of this magnificent hotel and discover what makes it truly special. In this post, I will reveal the story behind its name, its status as a “7-star” hotel, and the incredible architectural and design elements that make it a marvel of modern engineering. Besides, I will tell you how to visit the Burj Al Arab, from staying in one of its luxurious suites to dining at its world-class restaurants or joining the Inside Burj Al Arab tour. So, set sail — we are heading to the Burj Al Arab in Dubai.
What is special about Burj Al Arab
The Burj Al Arab Jumeirah is not just a hotel; it is a symbol of luxury, opulence and architectural innovation. Its striking sail-shaped design, inspired by the billowing sails of J-class yachts and adorned by a helipad on top, has made it an iconic symbol of Dubai’s skyline. However, if you’ve been to Lisbon, you might also notice the resemblance with the famous Vasco Da Gama Tower.
The building is situated on a man-made island, connected to the mainland by a private curving 280-metre bridge, ensuring that guests enjoy the utmost privacy. Visitors can look forward to exclusive facilities and amenities, including airport pick-up by Rolls-Royce, spas, a private beach, pools and luxury rooms. Well, and a similarly impressive price tag of course!
The famous hotel’s interiors feature Statuario marble, 24-carat gold and the world’s largest Swarovski crystal ceiling arranged in the shape of the Milky Way galaxy. The private helipad on top of the building is a gem in itself. It has witnessed many special events, including famous DJs’ performances, tennis matches, a drifting Formula 1 bolide and a recent first-ever plane landing and take-off.
To conclude, multiple celebrities, such as Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Justin Bieber, Abhishek Bachchan and Ronan Keating, stayed at Burj Al Arab.
What does Burj Al Arab mean
The name “Burj Al Arab” means the “Tower of the Arabs” or “Arab Tower” in Arabic, signifying its importance as a landmark for the region.
Is Burj Al Arab a 7-star hotel
Is Burj Al Arab the world’s first 7-star hotel? Although officially classified as a 5-star hotel, the Burj Al Arab is often referred to as a “7-star” hotel due to the unparalleled level of luxury, service and amenities it offers to its guests. This goes back to a remark of the British journalist, who was touring the hotel before the opening and praised it in the review.
This unofficial rating reflects the hotel’s commitment to exceeding expectations and providing an unmatched hospitality experience. Visit the Burj Al Arab to decide whether this remark was just a marketing stunt or it truly reflects reality. I have not used the Rolls-Royce service, but I can tell you that the design is certainly overwhelming and is worth a visit!
Burj Al Arab’s architecture and design
The Burj Al Arab’s iconic sail-shaped structure was designed by British architect Tom Wright and was completed in 1999 after five years of construction. The hotel’s exterior is covered in a Teflon-coated fibreglass fabric, which not only adds to its striking appearance but also helps to regulate the building’s temperature.
How high is Burj Al Arab? At 321 metres (1,053 feet) tall, the Burj Al Arab is in the top-5 tallest hotels in the world and features a breathtaking 180-metre (590 feet) tall atrium. The building is seemingly stretched in two directions to create the impression of a sail blowing in the wind. Between these structures lies a huge atrium (I will not hide it, the highest in the world).
How can I visit Burj Al Arab in Dubai
So, a popular question that many asked (including myself) — can I visit the Burj Al Arab? Unfortunately, walk-ins are not allowed, and you will be asked by security about the purpose of your visit. Nevertheless, there are many ways to visit the Burj Al Arab even without staying there. Here is my list with all options for how to visit Burj Al Arab in Dubai:
- Book a room at Burj Al Arab (this is certainly the most pricey option, but it will open many doors
- Join the exclusive guided tour organised by the hotel
- Book high tea or afternoon tea at one of the hotel’s restaurants
- Reserve a table for lunch or dinner at one of the hotel’s restaurants
- Buy a day pass to enjoy some of the hotel’s recreational facilities
I went there three times, twice for dinner and one time on a tour, and every time I was impressed by the decor and the level of service. I can definitely recommend experiencing Burj Al Arab from inside.
Burj Al Arab stay
Staying at the Burj Al Arab, owned by Jumeirah Hotels and Resorts, is an experience like no other. With its luxurious suites, world-class facilities and impeccable service, the hotel offers an unparalleled hospitality experience. Guests can choose from a range of opulent accommodations, each designed to provide the ultimate comfort and luxury.
A glimpse Inside Burj Al Arab rooms and suites
Each of the Burj Al Arab’s 202 suites is a masterpiece of design and luxury. Spanning two floors, these lavish accommodations offer guests unmatched privacy and comfort. They range from 170 to almost 700 square metres in size. The hotel’s suites are adorned with the finest furnishings and materials, including custom-made carpets, exquisite fabrics and hand-crafted furniture. You can choose from the following Burj Al Arab room types:
- Deluxe Marina Suite
- Deluxe Palm Suite
- Sky Marina Suite
- Sky Palm Suite
- Panoramic Suite
- Club Suite
- Deluxe Two Bedroom Suite
- Burj Two Bedroom Family Suite
- Burj Three Bedroom Family Suite
- Diplomatic Three Bedroom Suite
Burj Al Arab room prices
What is the Burj Al Arab room price per night? Prices for a stay at this iconic hotel can range from approximately USD 1,000 to over USD 20,000 per night, depending on the type of accommodation selected and the time of year.
The Inside Burj Al Arab Tour
If you want to explore the wonders of the Burj Al Arab without staying at the hotel, I suggest going on a guided tour. These tours offer a fascinating insight into the hotel’s history, architecture and design, as well as the chance to see its luxurious facilities and amenities up close.
The Inside Burj Al Arab guided tours start every 30 minutes and last for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Each group can fit up to 12 participants.
What to expect during the Inside Burj Al Arab tour
- Exclusive access to areas within the Burj Al Arab Jumeirah that are closed for the guests.
- A knowledgeable guide/butler who will explain the history and architecture of the hotel, including its Arabian heritage elements.
- An opportunity to have a ride in a panoramic lift with stunning views of Dubai’s skyline to explore the 25th floor.
- A visit to the Royal Suite, one of the most luxurious suites in the world.
- Multiple photo opportunities, so dress to impress to match the decor.
- The opportunity to see stunning memorabilia related to the helipad.
- A chance to learn about the cutting-edge technology and architectural innovation that makes the Burj Al Arab one of the most iconic and luxurious hotels in the world.
- A visit to the boutique souvenir shop.
- A visit to the UMA lounge, which is a luxurious space for guests to relax and enjoy stunning views of the Arabian Gulf (if you upgrade your package to include food and beverages).
You can choose from several Inside Burj Al Arab tour options:
- Only guided tours
- Guided tours with transfers
- Guided tours with access to UMA lounge + different food and beverage packages (including gold cappuccino)
Have Fun Dubai’s Tip: To make the most of your visit, I recommend combining the tour with booking a table at one of the multiple hotel’s restaurants or spending time on the fabulous Burj Al Arab Terrace with several pools, jacuzzis, sunbeds and dining options.
Inside Burj Al Arab tour starting point:
To join the tour, go to the Inside Burj Al Arab ticket lounge at the nearby Jumeirah Beach Hotel, after which you will be transported by buggy to the Burj Al Arab.
Dubai Burj Al Arab facilities and services
The Burj Al Arab offers a range of world-class facilities and services to ensure that guests enjoy an unforgettable stay. Some of the hotel’s standout features include:
- A private beach and exclusive terrace with two swimming pools
- A state-of-the-art fitness centre and spa
- A helipad for private helicopter transfers
- A fleet of Rolls-Royce and BMW vehicles for guest transportation
- 24-hour butler service for all guests
- World-class restaurants and lounges
- A dedicated children’s club and family-friendly facilities
List of all Burj Al Arab restaurants
The Burj Al Arab is home to exquisite restaurants and lounges, each offering a unique dining experience. These include:
- Sal: Beachside restaurant and bar with a laid-back vibe
- Al Mahara: An underwater-themed restaurant serving exquisite Italian and seafood dishes.
- Guilt: A modern cocktail bar on the 27th floor with breathtaking views.
- Al Muntaha: An elegant French and Italian fine-dining restaurant offering panoramic views of the city.
- Sahn Eddar: An elegant lobby lounge offering afternoon tea and fountain views.
- Skyview: A stylish cocktail lounge with stunning views of the city.
- Al Iwan: A restaurant with Arab delicacies and decor on the 1st floor.
- Bab Al Yam: A relaxed poolside café serving Middle Eastern and European dishes.
- Uma: A stylish bar and lounge with lush surroundings and panoramic views of the Arabian Gulf.
Burj Al Arab location
- Burj Al Arab address: Jumeirah Street, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
How to get to Burj Al Arab
- By bus: Take bus 8, 81, 88 or X28 to Burj Al Arab Hotel or Wild Wadi bus stops.
- By taxi: Taxi drop-off is available in front of the hotel.
- By car: Valet parking is offered to hotel guests and restaurant visitors. For the guided tour, head to the Jumeirah Beach Hotel valet parking.
What other attractions can I visit near the Burj Al Arab Hotel
The Burj Al Arab is surrounded by a wealth of attractions and activities for guests to explore. Some of the nearby highlights include:
- Wild Wadi Water Park: It is a popular family-friendly and Dubai’s oldest water park located next to the hotel, with more than 30 water slides and other attractions.
- Souk Madinat Jumeirah: A stylish Arab architectural ensemble with restaurants, traditional market halls, winding canals and fabulous views of the Burj Al Arab.
- Jumeirah Beach: A pristine stretch of white sand beach perfect for sunbathing and swimming. It is a great place to enjoy sunsets.
- Watersports: Multiple watersports activities are available nearby, with fantastic Burj Al Arab views, including jet ski riding, flyboarding, speedboat cruises and more. Book your jet ski experience with Burj Al Arab views here
- Palm Jumeirah: A man-made island featuring luxury resorts, restaurants and many attractions.
Burj Al Arab FAQs
- Is the Burj Al Arab worth the price?
Staying at the Burj Al Arab is an unforgettable experience that is worth every penny. From the moment you arrive, you are treated like royalty, with 24-hour butler service, world-class facilities and unparalleled luxury. Book your stay at the Burj Al Arab Jumeirah Hotel here
- Can I visit the Burj Al Arab without staying there?
Yes, you can visit the Burj Al Arab without staying at the hotel. Visitors can dine at one of the hotel’s exquisite restaurants or enjoy a drink at one of its stylish lounges. Moreover, guided tours of the hotel’s facilities are available, providing a fascinating insight into the hotel’s history, architecture and design. Book your Inside Burj Al Arab guided tour here
- Is the Burj Al Arab open to the public?
While the Burj Al Arab is not open to the general public, visitors can still experience the hotel’s luxury and grandeur through guided tours and dining experiences. However, access to the hotel’s rooms and suites is restricted to guests staying at the hotel.
- How much does it cost to eat at the Burj Al Arab?
The cost of dining at the Burj Al Arab varies depending on the restaurant and the type of cuisine. Prices can range from approximately USD 50 to over USD 500 per person, depending on the menu selected and the time of day. However, the quality of the food and the service are second to none, making it a worthwhile investment for those seeking a truly memorable dining experience.
Prepare for your Dubai trip
Did you find this post helpful? Then click that little heart below and share it with your friends and family. Have fun in Dubai!