The Etihad Museum Dubai is a must-see destination for anyone interested in exploring the rich heritage and history of the UAE. As you walk through the exhibits, you will witness the story of the nation’s founding fathers and their vision for a united future. The museum was officially opened on December 2, 2016, coinciding with the UAE’s 45th National Day. With its state-of-the-art facilities and interactive exhibitions, visitors can learn interesting facts about the United Arab Emirates and its journey to becoming one of the world’s most developed nations.
As you explore the museum, you will be transported back in time to the early days of the country and witness the birth of a nation. The museum provides an opportunity to immerse yourself in the story of the UAE and its remarkable journey from a collection of small emirates to a global powerhouse. Read in this post about the Etihad Museum exhibits, architecture, tickets, location and more.
Overview: Jump Here to Your Favourite Topic
Is the Dubai Etihad Museum visit worth it: pros and cons
Check my quick overview of the pros and cons below to make a balanced decision.
- UAE history: Immerse yourself in the rich history of the United Arab Emirates and learn about the country’s formation and development. Museum’s interactive exhibits, including multimedia displays and engaging activities, offer a hands-on experience.
- Futuristic architecture: Enjoy the stunning architecture and design of the museum, which incorporates modern elements.
- UAE’s tallest flagpole: Next to the museum, you can see the 123-metre-high flagpole, called the Union Flag.
- Niche museum: Some visitors may find the subject matter too specific or niche. Visit this museum only if you are interested in the history of the UAE.
Union House Dubai: Birthplace of the UAE
The Union House in front of the Etihad Museum in Dubai stands as a testament to the historic moment when the rulers of the seven emirates came together to form the United Arab Emirates. On December 2, 1971, the leaders of Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, Fujairah and Ras Al Khaimah signed the declaration of the establishment of the UAE, marking the beginning of a new era. The Union House in Dubai has since become an iconic symbol of the country’s unity.
The Union House is an essential part of the Dubai Etihad Museum, as it serves as a source of inspiration for the museum’s architecture and design. The museum’s structure is built around the original Union House and incorporates several elements that pay tribute to the UAE’s founding fathers. The museum is also featured on the 50 dirhams banknote.
Etihad Museum architecture and design
The Etihad Museum’s architecture and design are nothing short of awe-inspiring. The museum was designed by the renowned Canadian architectural firm Moriyama & Teshima Architects, that masterfully combined elements of traditional Emirati culture with modern architectural techniques. The museum’s shape resembles the manuscript of the UAE’s constitution, and its 7 columns represent the pens used to sign the document.
As you walk through the Etihad Museum in Dubai, you will be captivated by the museum’s elegant design and its harmonious blend of traditional and contemporary elements. The museum’s interior is adorned with intricate patterns and motifs inspired by Emirati art and craftsmanship, creating a visually stunning backdrop for the museum’s exhibitions. The museum’s use of natural light, open spaces and landscaped gardens further enhances the visitor experience, making it a truly immersive journey into the UAE’s history.
List of museum exhibitions
The Etihad Museum boasts a wide range of exhibitions that showcase the UAE’s rich history and culture. The museum’s exhibits are designed to engage and educate visitors, offering a comprehensive insight into the country’s past and its journey towards unity. Some of the key exhibitions at the Etihad Museum in Dubai include:
- The Founding Fathers: This exhibition pays tribute to the seven rulers who signed the declaration of the establishment of the UAE. The exhibition features a collection of biographies, personal items and memorabilia that belonged to the founding fathers, providing a glimpse into their lives and personalities.
- The Road to the Union: This exhibition takes visitors on a journey through the UAE’s history, starting from the early days of the emirates to the formation of the country. The exhibition features a timeline of events, maps and historic documents that tell the story of the UAE’s path to unity.
- The UAE’s Constitution: This exhibition showcases the UAE’s constitution, which serves as the foundation of the country’s legal and political system. Visitors can learn about the constitution’s drafting process and its core principles.
- The UAE’s National Identity: This exhibition explores the UAE’s national identity and its various symbols, such as the passport, the flag, the national anthem and the coat of arms. Visitors can learn about the origins and meanings of these symbols and their significance in shaping the country’s identity.
These are just a few of the many exhibitions at the Etihad Museum in Dubai that provide a fascinating insight into the UAE’s history and culture. The museum’s interactive displays and multimedia presentations ensure that visitors of all ages can learn and engage with the country’s rich heritage.
Etihad Museum tickets
How much is the Dubai Etihad Museum ticket? The museum ticket price is very affordable, making it an excellent choice for a cultural outing. Etihad Museum tickets can be purchased online or at the museum’s ticket counter. Entry to the museum may be free on specific days of the year, such as UAE National Day and International Museum Day.
- Etihad Museum ticket price: AED 25 per adult, AED 20 per person for groups of 5 people, free for children under 5 and disabled visitors
- Etihad Museum opening hours: 10:00 to 20:00 (last entry 19:00)
The Etihad Museum is open to visitors seven days a week, ensuring that you can plan your visit at a time that suits you best. It is essential to note that the museum’s timings may change during public holidays and special events.
- Etihad Museum address: 1 Jumeirah Street (2nd December Street crossing), Dubai, United Arab Emirates
How to get to Etihad Museum in Dubai
There are several ways to get to the Etihad Museum in Dubai, depending on your preferences and convenience. Some popular options include:
- By car: If you are driving to the museum, there is ample parking available on-site. The museum is easily accessible from major roads, such as Sheikh Zayed Road and Jumeirah Road.
- By taxi: Taxis and ride-sharing apps like Uber and Careem are widely available in Dubai, making it easy to reach the Etihad Museum from any part of the city.
- By bus: Take bus routes 8, 10, C10 or X28 to the Etihad Museum or ENOC Dhiyafa bus stops.
What other attractions can I visit nearby
The Etihad Museum’s location in the heart of Jumeirah offers visitors the opportunity to explore several nearby attractions. Some popular attractions around the Dubai Etihad Museum include:
- Jumeirah Mosque: Visit one of the most beautiful UAE mosques on a guided tour to learn more about local traditions and lifestyle.
- La Mer: This vibrant beachfront destination offers a wide range of dining and entertainment options for visitors of all ages.
- Jumeirah Beach: This popular public beach is known for its pristine sands and crystal-clear waters, making it an ideal place to relax and unwind after your visit to the museum.
- Dubai Heritage Village: To continue your journey through the UAE’s and Dubai’s history, take a 15-minute taxi ride to Dubai Heritage Village and Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood.
- Mercato Mall: This Italian-inspired shopping mall is a popular destination for shopping, dining and entertainment, featuring a wide range of international brands and local boutiques.
Prepare for your Dubai trip
Did you find this post helpful? Then click that little heart below and share it with your friends and family. Have fun in Dubai!